It is simple to pick everlastings.
- Pick them at the length you desire by simply snapping them, or cutting them with secateurs
- Remove leaves on-site (this prevents waste in the home and it is great for organic matter recycling for the garden soil!)
- Take them home to place in a vase
- Change water as often as possible.
- Remove deteriorating or droopy flower heads over the duration
With these points, the Everlastings flowers should look fresh for approximately a month.
Harvesting and drying Everlasting flowers
Drying everlasting flowers for display is a popular gardening activity. The simplest way to preserve the flowers, and maintain full colour and form is to follow the following steps:
- Harvest flowers when weather conditions are dry, and flowers are fully open (in the middle of a sunny day). Do not pick them too early when the plant is still forming, or too late when the colour starts to fade.
- Strip the foliage from the stems, unless you are specifically drying them for foliage.
- Tie the stems loosely into bunches using rubber bands.
- Hang the bunches upside down in a dark, cool, dry, well ventilated place, such as an attic or shed (flowers are hung upside down so that the stems dry straight).
- Hang the plant material until it is thoroughly dry, usually 2 to 3 weeks.
- Enjoy colour inside your home!